- Setup folders and automatic responses
- Have a set time to check email, never the first thing in the morning.
- Prioritize whether an email should be sent. Or, pick up the phone and talk.
- Never read emails while in a meeting or at a lunch. It says: “I could care less about your time.”
- Have set times that you check email and respond.
- Clients/VIPs I respond within the hour always and have whatever the email addresses accomplished within 24 hours. It is known as the 1×24 rule.
- Setup expectations with your team regarding email and communication.
My hierarchy of communication:
- Phone- This is for emergency’s and immediate conversation.
- Text Message- Great for quick to the point QA – “Ping Me”
- Email- Replaced mail and should be treated as such. 24-72 hour response.
Many recommend not checking email throughout the day and having auto responses address all incoming email. I myself do not feel I can commit to my clients and the level of customer service I value doing that. Let me know what you think.
Check out these links on the subject: